Tell me about Cookies
This page contains information on what cookies are, how cookies are used by www.upperdeckmarine.co.uk, how to switch cookies off in your browser and some useful links where you can read more about the subject.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files which are placed on your computer/mobile device (such as your smart phone or tablet) as you browse the web. Websites are able to read and write these files, allowing them to store information such as user preferences (e.g. language). Cookies provide a “memory” for a website and are necessary to ensure effective operation and improved user experiences.
Please read on for more details regarding the types of cookies that we use, as well as how to disable cookies and further resources about cookies.
Visiting a page on upperdeckmarine.co.uk may generate the following cookies:
Session Cookies (Strictly Necessary Cookies):
These cookies allow users to be recognised within a website so that any personalisation or data/item selections that you make will be remembered from page to page. The most common use of this functionality is the shopping cart feature on our website. It is the session cookie that remembers what you have put into your shopping cart. Without session cookies, when you click ‘checkout’ the new page will not recognise your past activities and your shopping cart will always be empty.
Anonymous Analytics Cookies (Performance Cookies):
Each time that a user visits our website, third party web analytics software generates an anonymous analytics cookie. These cookies can tell us a range of insightful information such as whether a visitor has been to our site before, and which pages on our site are most popular with visitors. These cookies are used purely for statistical purposes – we do not use these at all to identify individuals.
Website Experience Cookies (Functionality & Advertising Cookies):
We have a selection of cookies in place to help to improve our customers’ experiences of our website, these are commonly known as persistent cookies. We currently have in place the following cookies:
- We store customers IDs for a limited period in order to ensure that any technical difficulties are resolved and to improve customer experience. If a customer abandons their shopping cart we will use this ID to send them an email providing our customer service information in case they require assistance with their purchase
- We store a cookie with registered visitors’ first names so that we can personalise our site to welcome existing customers before they log in (cookie not currently used)
- We store a cookie that allows us to personalise your homepage experience based upon your interest area (cookie not currently used).
What happens if I disable cookies?
This depends on which cookies you chose to disable. Most of the cookies that we use improve the user experience and some are necessary in order to complete a purchase. If you find that you cannot complete your purchase (for example items keep disappearing from your basket) then we recommend that you make sure that first party cookies are enabled.
How to disable cookies
If you would like to disable cookies you will need to change your website browser setting to reject cookies. This process is different depending on which browser that you use. Please read on for instructions of how to disable cookies in the most popular browsers. We have also linked to the browser help pages for further information.
- Choose the menu “tools” then “Internet Options”
- Click on the “privacy” tab
- Select the setting the appropriate setting. You can be more specific about your preferences by clicking the ‘Advanced’ button and then selecting to ‘override’ the cookie handling.
- Choose the menu “tools” then “Options”
- Click on the icon “privacy”
- Use the drop down menu and tick boxes to set your preferences. If you would like to set them in more detail select the “use custom settings for history”.
- Click the little spanner image in the top right hand corner of the browser
- Click on the “Tools” menu and select “Clear browsing data” – click “cancel”
- Click the “Under the Bonnet” tab and click “Content Settings
- Choose your preferred settings under the “Cookie setting” title
- Choose Preferences from Safari menu
- Select Security icon
- Cookie settings are shown in window
- Choose your preferred settings
- Choose the menu Files”> “Preferences”
- Go into privacy settings and set your cookie preferences
Other useful cookie information
Please visit the following links to learn more about cookies and how they are used:
The IAB has provided the following website to give information specifically about privacy issues around Internet advertising:
For further legal information about privacy issues, you may find these links useful: